Friday, November 30, 2007

Cops help deliver baby in Bay Ridge

BY MATTHEW LYSIAK
SPECIAL TO THE NEWS

Friday, November 30th 2007, 4:00 AM


DeCrescenzo for News

Rebecca Encalada Williams with her baby boy, Christian Jaden.
Two quick-thinking cops delivered a baby boy who came unexpectedly above a popular pizza parlor in Bay Ridge.

Police Officers Vito Viola and Lance Sigman came to the aid of Rebecca Encalada Williams, 27, after she went into labor on the floor of her Fifth Ave. apartment Monday.

"It is the craziest story, and I wouldn't believe it if it didn't happen to me," said Williams.

Her labor actually started on Sunday, when she began to feel pains. She had her husband, Sharif, take her to Methodist Hospital, where staff examined her and then sent her home.

"They told me I had some time and I didn't feel a lot of pain, so it made sense to me," said Williams.

When the next morning came and the pain subsided a little more, she thought it was safe to send her husband off to work. But only minutes later, something began to feel different.

"I felt like I had to go to the bathroom, but then I felt the baby's head," said Williams. "I knew that once it starts coming out it doesn't go back in, so I called 911 right away."

Minutes later, she opened the door for the officers, who quickly took control, first ordering her to lie down. They got towels from her bathroom, slapped on latex gloves and instructed her on how to push.

Three pushes later, out came the baby.

The officers carried Williams down the four flights of stairs and past the Pizza Wagon, which occupies the ground floor of the building.

"When the officers delivered my baby, it felt like a miracle," said Williams.

The baby, named Christian Jaden Williams, tipped the scales at 5 pounds 6 ounces despite arriving five weeks ahead of schedule. He was held at Maimonides Medical Center a few extra days as a precaution.

"We just had the baby shower, and no one was expecting this to happen so soon," said Williams.

Williams will have one great story to share with Christian - and maybe something else.

"My baby will probably always have an urge for pizza and not know why," she said, "but I like pizza too, so that works for me."

No comments:

Welcome to Lysiak's Resource Guide!

Welcome to Lysiak's Resource Guide!
Lysiak exposing the lack of security at the Towers pipeline